The Empty Book Part 2

For this project I ended up taking my initial sketches and running with them. I chose to focus on The Survival of a Red Shirt title. I wanted it to look like a retro sci-fi poster, or at least give that vibe. I focused on iconic graphics and primary colors – also the same colors as the shirts on Star Trek. I also kept everything fairly two-dimensional.

I played around with the placement of the graphics and text a little. My initial idea had the title up top, but I didn’t like how unbalanced the front cover felt that way. I also chose a fake author name, the name of the first female red shirt to die on Star Trek, according to the internet.

I also ended up adding a texture to the initial comp. The grungy, painted, sponged on texture really gives it that old school, retro feeling without being too over the top.

I chose the Alierons typeface for the title and author. It has a subtle sci-fi feel. I gave the title a gradient to keep the feeling of movement and emphasis the direction of the graphic. The back cover copy is in the Droid Serif typeface, and I ended up going with all caps for readability.

I’m honestly pretty pleased with how this turned out. I went back and forth about adding stars to the background, but in the end I left them out. I didn’t really feel like they were necessary.

As always, feel free to tell me what you think in the comments below!

The Empty Book Part 1

This project was the conception and design of  a book cover for a book with intentionally blank pages.

I had a lot of fun with this one, and once I got going, it was surprisingly easy to come up with title ideas. My favorites include: “The Survival of a Red Shirt,” “How to Train Your Cat,” and “Creative Motivation: A Workbook.”Other ideas included and origami book, and one about Storm troopers hitting targets.

I haven’t decided on which one I’m going to do, but I’m leaning toward the “Survival of a Red Shirt,” because it’s more fun, graphically. I’d really like to do the creative motivation one because I would get to be hilariously pretentious about the whole thing.  I’ll probably stick with the red shirt one, though.

Any ideas? Tell me below!

Vodka Label Part 2

The pecan pie vodka label is finished!

I have to admit, I’m not ready to let this one go yet. It’s not what I want it to be yet, so there may be more of this to come if I can figure out what will improve it.

I really love the way the pattern across the bottom came out, and I like the typeface I chose, but I’m not sure they’re meshing well. I also like the idea of the pie icon, but I’m not thrilled with the way the elements have come together. So, it needs a little work, but I’ll get there!

Feel free to leave any constructive criticism in the comments below!

Vodka Label Part 1

For this project, I had to design a label for a pecan pie flavored vodka from a local distillery. As a professional bar tender who is going into design, this project is right up my alley.

I approached this project as a redesign of their current packaging. I did some research into the distillery and checked out all the labels of the vodkas I work with on a daily basis. I also tried to think of all the things I want in a label as a bar tender. You want something easy to read, recognizable, and distinct. The last thing you want to have to do is check the bottle when you grab it to make sure it’s the right vodka. You also want to be able to see the level of liquid in the bottle at all times for backups and inventory.

Here are my initial sketches for this project. I’ll update next week with the final product!